Tuesday, November 17, 2009


The Albany Bulb!
We went there the other day with our friend Ramsey, and it was really nice! The weather was nice and mild that day, and the tide was out so we were able to see still, flat, open water and mud flats stretching out all around us, it was beautiful. I don't have many pictures, I asked Poet to take pictures of all the neat things there were but instead he took a bunch of pictures of me, because he's apparently too cool to take pictures of nature and found objects, and only wants to take pictures of his girlfriend. I feel so novel! What can you do, photographers get so tired of weddings and nature shots, and things like that.
Ramsey took a lot of pictures too (and on film!), and I can't wait to see how those turn out!


some of the cool objects lying around there:


searching for sea shells:




The camera is now in my hands, and I do no better!

we found a little crab! He was scuttly, but we got him to hold still for his close-up.



Other than that, today myself and my roommates set up our garden! We built a compost box, planted two kinds of daffodils, as well as tulips and carrots. We spent most of our time digging up plants and roots and clearing away all the dead plants, but at least now we have a place to put it! I love compost boxes, they're so useful, almost nothing goes to waste.
The only thing that is already sprouted in the garden is lavender (no flowers right now, though), basil, and onions. I'll take pictures when more is sprouting up from the ground, because right now it's pretty unremarkable, although we did make a cool path out of bricks and cinder blocks!
So all in all, a productive day. I love making a garden, I'm beginning to feel like doing every day things is so spiritual and cathartic. We live in a very spiritually active place (not just our house, the whole neighborhood), and those elements are going to be around us no matter what we do. So it's better in my opinion to engage in activities that seem to give back to our surroundings, and that connect us to our living space. My old neighborhood was pretty dry, there just weren't a lot of active spiritual vibes in it. Where we live now, most of the homes are of Victorian architecture and were built 80 to 100 years ago. The area is generally poor and urban, although there are plenty of trees and some wild and lovely gardens here and there.
Plus, I'm just not really finding much joy in spending my free time "going out" and by that I mean doing the whole night life thing. So I find that I am enjoying spending more time working around the house and having hobbies here. That, and what free time I have I'm using better, so I've had more time to actually go out and do things I want to during the day on my days off (like going for a walk at the Albany Bulb!) and even before work, instead of laying around or being lazy. Oh my! I'm getting so old, I wake up before 9am on my own most days. I also hang out with my parents more than I hang out with most of my friends, and that doesn't even bother me, my parents are cool!
I welcome this new phase of life with open arms, and here, a new place to document it.

No comments:

Post a Comment