Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Backlog of Art Part II



Late 2007 to 2008:
I had a definite aquarium phase (can't say I'm out of it, even now!), and a love of negative space.

One of the most valuable things I think I've learned about making my art thus far is the idea that less can be more.















I was so technical, starting out. I had such a Western perspective.



Think of it in terms of what you might see in a Western comic book vs. an Eastern manga: In many Western comics, especially good ones, there's a tendency to have many lines drawn in that show facial expression, muscle tone, etc., while in manga there's a lot of implied fullness and 3-dimensionality without actually filling in planes with excessive lines.








After playing around with both styles I tired to reach a happy medium between the two artistic perspectives.
I also gained an appreciation for pop surrealism and artists like Camille Rose-Garcia.

No comments:

Post a Comment